Monday, September 3, 2007

My Outline of Blog 1

I was naive when I picked this topic and thought that the causes of Genocide would be straight forward and fit nicely into an essay. However there are so many things that contribute to Genocide. I have therefore decided to focus just on the Rwandan Genocide and examine what caused the Rwandan Genocide. However a lot of the aspects of what caused the Rwandan Genocide are still important and relevant to other Genocides. I’m still doing a lot of reading and currently think that I will include the following.

1) History and socio-cultural factors which lead up to the situation

· Use of aggression in past and as a normative problem solving skill

· Strain on resources (economic situation)

· Lack of acceptance for cultural diversity

2) The Elite and Powerful

· Rich want to be richer and want to made the poor poorer

· Rwandan rulers feared losing heir own power

· Propaganda

· All genocides in history have been instigated, organised, and legitimised by the state.

3) Social Psychological Factors – why individuals follow or be a part of the Genocide

· Lots of people in Rwanda started killing neighbours, spouses, or even children just because they were Tutsi. (what caused this behaviour)

· Obedience

· Confirmatory bias

· In groups and out groups “us” and “them”

· Heuristics

My concept map will not only include what I have talked about in my essay but I also want to include some things I haven’t had room to talk about

2 comments:

George Spot said...

thank you very much, it was very interesting im studying genocide at AS level and the outline was very useful =)

George Spot said...

thank you very much, it was very interesting im studying genocide at AS level and the outline was very useful =)